Most people know what separation anxiety means when we talk about children or pets. What you may not realize is that separation anxiety disorder in adults may also be a serious problem.
All You Have To Know About Separation Anxiety Disorder In Adults
Separation anxiety symptoms in adults
Separation anxiety symptoms in adults may include:
- A persistent worry about losing loved ones to death, illness, accidents or some other disaster.
- Trouble sleeping when away from a specific person.
- Repeated refusal to be alone or without loved ones.
- Excessive and disabling distress when faced with actual or perceived separation from major attachment figures.
- Repeated nightmares about being separated from the people who are important to the sufferer.
- Extreme anxiety when asked to do things alone.
How to Handle Separation Anxiety Disorder In Adults
Unfortunately, since this is very new, there aren’t many treatments that have been developed for this disorder. The first thing you need to do is admitting that there is a problem.
It is important for those with a diagnosis of ASAD to get themselves a psychologist AND psychiatrist in order to help themselves find a way of coping with this disorder.
Finding support can be beneficial. Support groups may be a big help for person suffering from separation anxiety disorder, because it provides the person with additional social support beyond the person they are connected to.
In the end, we would like to share simple anxiety test that can help you find out if your anxiety is within normal ranges. Click here if you want to take it.